Ten TNA proposals accepted by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe
Tamil National Alliance (TNA)and TELO Leader Vanni District MP Selvam Addaikalanathan yesterday said that UNP leader and PM Ranil Wickremesinghe had accepted ten of its proposals in return for the group’s backing for him to defeat the No Confidence Motion (NCM) moved by the Joint Opposition.
The TELO MP, representing the TNA, said that there had been a heated argument and tension when PM Wickremesinghe at the onset of the meeting between the UNP and the TNA turned down those proposals.
Addikalanathan said that they had been able to reach a consensus on ten proposals subsequently.
The following are the TNA proposals accepted by PM Wickremesinghe:
(1) providing a political solution to the North-East problem expeditiously
2) enactment of a new Constitution with a two-thirds majority in Parliament before the next national election
3) ensuring that the military vacates all property belonging to civilians
4) a general amnesty to all political prisoners
5) probing the wartime disappearances
6) protecting of rights of those living in the Northern and Eastern Provinces
7) employment for youth living in the Northern and Eastern provinces
8) ensuring that those who are not resident in the North and the East will not be employed in the two provinces at the expense of eligible candidates there
9) appointing Tamils as Divisional Secretaries of eight Northern and Eastern administrative districts and
10) taking into consideration views of members representing Northern and Eastern Provinces in respect of development projects as well as priority for projects undertaken by the Northern and Eastern Provincial Councils.